Thursday, September 10, 2026

Finding my art style

I've been drawing daily these 2 weeks to find my art style, which till now I'm still figuring it out.

Every time after I thought I've established my art style on Procreate, I start to hate it again, and this goes on forever. Is this the type of anxiety that art entrepreneurs face of never ever finding the perfect answer or even feeling good enough??? Do I just put out ALL art I've created and let the public decide for me what kind of artist I am? Because I really don't know.

Anyway, thanks to a friend who allowed me to visit her house this weekend, I was motivated to draw something nice for her. Her print turned out WAY nicer than I expected, and took me in the direction of kawaii, hand-drawn, storybook kind of art.
1. A Happy Family in a Cake
This took me 4 hours to draw and colour. I drew the family of three as rabbits because this friend asked me to buy Cedele cakes when we meet up, and recently posted about her love for Peter Rabbit storybooks on Instagram. The random animals were an afterthought to fill up more space at the top.
2. Travelling to Strawberry Land
This took me 6 hours. I'm really leaning towards the whole imaginative semi-cute world kind of concept + characters. The animals seem like a bunch of goofy friends creating havoc in every piece. I also noticed a lot of problems due to my self-critique, like wrong animal scale, not knowing where to add highlight/shadows, lack of textures, varying face shapes, different style of clouds etc. I should probably practise drawing each animal first.
3.Co-Living in A Strawberry House
Another animals in an imaginative house concept. I should just give the animals their own unique personality or emotion at this point. Maybe cat = smart/capable. Dog = innocent/joyful. Rabbit = romantic/shy. Turtle = driven/persistent. Frog = ditzy/silly. Duck= deadpan/apathetic. Mouse = sneaky. Bear = tired. Snails and worms are just calefare.

"You are only as good as your last work." This quote rings so true for me right now. I have no excuse but to work hard every single day on my dreams. Hopefully by next week, I will be able to confidently establish my style and start drawing real art that I'm proud to share online!

No comments: